Many of you might be unaware about amblyopia or what exactly lazy eye is? As if you haven’t heard about these terms, so it’s pretty palpable you won’t even know do you have lazy eye or not? No need to worry, just keep going and find about the lazy eye.
So, you ever felt while doing any work your brain focused on one eye more than the other one? If yes, the eye that your brain ignored was the lazy eye. It has been seen adults with lazy eye in USA and UK affects approx to 2-3% of their children. In USA, the reason behind the lazy eye is partial or total blindness in one eye also known by the name of monocular blindness in the USA.
Symptoms of a Lazy Eye:
- Double Vision.
- A squint.
- Poor depth perception.
- Poor vision in one eye or overall.
Some of the Causes of Lazy Eye are:
- Hereditary can be a major cause of Lazy Eye.
- Dropping of one of your eyelids.
- Eye surgery.
- Glaucoma, a high pressure in your eye that sometimes leads to vision problems and blindness.
- Different levels of vision in each of your eyes.
Can anyone get a Lazy Eye?
The problem of lazy eye can be found in anyone, whether it’s parents or children. For children it’s important to go under through various eye exams, even if they don’t have any symptoms. It is recommended by the American Optometric Association, children should have eye exams when they have completed their 6 months and when they turn 3. After that, for a routine check-up children can have eye exams every two years, or on short intervals of time, from 6 to 18 years of age.
Cure for Lazy Eye:
The treatments that can be taken at an early age are:
- Glasses/ Contact Lenses: If you are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism in one eye, corrective glasses or lenses may be
advised by the doctors.
- Eye Drops: Putting drops in your eyes would not only help you in clouding your vision but will help you in using your weak eye more.
- Eye Patch: Using eye patch over your active eye will help you strengthen your weaker eye. Wearing patch will help develop your brain area that controls vision.
- Surgery: Going for a surgery might be the last option when you have crossed eyes or eyes that point in opposite directions. The surgery would be required on the muscles of your eye.
After so many readings about lazy eye, I would say the term somewhere seemed to be inaccurate. As what the eye is not lazy, the brain is because it is a developmental problem in the brain not in the eye. For in depth information on Lazy Eye, visit here.